In my first blog we can see evidence of becoming leisure educated by understanding the constraint of time as a barrier towards blogging. This is seemingly blocking my leisure experience because it provides more extrinsic rather than intrinsic motivation and a lack of perceived freedom from my perspective of my leisure (or non-leisure) experience. Although I do understand why and how blogging can be a positive by the use of self-reflection.
Also, in my first blog there is evidence of becoming leisure educated through the understanding that leisure is individually based. I described how my experience with blogging is one that I don't consider very leisure-like, however understand that others may see it as so.
In my second blog there is evidence of becoming leisure educated and a leisure educator. It is apparent that learning about others and learning from others when it comes to coaching has allowed myself to understand why I sometimes experience and don't experience leisure all the time. It also implies learning why the constituents of our football program may not be experiencing positive, intrinsically motivating leisure within this program. As technical director it is even my "job" to make sure that these volunteers are providing the necessary environment and situations for these leisure experiences to occur.
LEISURE VALUES BASED ON LANGUAGE
If there is one theme of my two blog entries it is the use of the words "positive, intrinsically motivated experiences". This demonstrates my positive view of leisure. In fact, it is the goal I apparently am looking to achieve and am looking to provide for others. Apparently it is the foundation for leisure from my perspective.
I go on to use the words flow and optimal arousal as examples of these experiences that I am looking to provide and achieve. If we don't have these feelings I find it very difficult to experience or provide the same experiences I wish to have. For example I have used words such as stimulation, provide, improve to achieve these experiences as well. Even a word such as delayed gratification has come about in explaining the fact that leisure isn't going to occur all the time or over a given amount of time (through the example of the woman at the dance (Blog #1).
One key sentence that I feel is the most important in how I value leisure is the following: minds and heart of people... is key.
This zooms directly on the Head, Heart, and Hands concept as discussed in class. I am very much a Hands and Heart type of person that believes through emotions and the potential of providing positive experiences within a given activity outplays the so-called logic that may surround certain ideas and potential programs to be provided. I believe the potential of providing and enjoying positive, intrinsically motivating experiences and the potential of creating long-lasting, positive relationship can always outweigh the logical perspective. This is comprehensible to me since we all leisure differently, doing different things, and experiencing these different things (activities) differently. In the end we don't really look at the logic of it all, we look at how we felt, and how we did it in order for us to feel it and do it again.

1 comment:
Insightful blog summary. Demonstrates knowledge of the meaning of leisure in your life and how to help other people find/value leisure. The ideas are supported with examples that relate personal experience to lecture (reading) material. 9/10
Post a Comment