Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Enjoying My Leisure

Is there life without what we call leisure? I don't think so.

Without leisure how do we enjoy ourselves? The concepts of flow and optimal arousal have been demonstrated as being key to enjoying positive experiences. This has become a part of me through my involvement within the Verdun Minor Football Association. 

I had the opportunity to play 7 seasons as a young buck in Verdun. They were some of  the best times of my life. This recreational activity provided me with so many feelings of motivation, fun, excitement, and even disappointment which have allowed me to learn to be a coach and technical director of this program.

Providing this program and coaching the youngsters of this borough has become a part of me. My self-definition prides upon it. While walking through the streets of Verdun, it's almost impossible to get away from someone calling me coach on my way and asking how things are going with football. Besides my school life, it is probably the most important part of my life.

Tonight I have a meeting with one of our teams to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the coaching staff and ways that we can improve our program. Getting into the minds and hearts of these people is key in providing a worthwhile program for these young kids. If our program providers and coaches cannot provide positive, leisure experiences for these young players, our program would not exist. It has become a goal and motivation in my life to help and help others provide these positive experiences through the sport of football.

The friendships I have built by being a part of this adventure are very important to me. I don't know how I would live without them and their hard work throughout the season and off-season. Volunteerism is something that is underrated and under-appreciated. However, it is the volunteers that will provide the positive experiences for these kids. It is the volunteers that will give up their time doing other things to make sure that this is the case.

Tonight is a night of leisure education at this meeting. Learning from each other on how to provide an enjoyable, worthwhile environment and experience is leisure education. Discussing the whys and the why nots of what we do or should improve upon will only make us stronger in providing leisure experiences. It will also help these coaches who are volunteering to have fun as well.

Winning isn't everything unless winning means we provide these kids with coaches that are football educated, relationship-oriented, and leisure educated because without these three things what's the point?

It is not always easy because we are dealing with ever-changing youth during an entire season. As they change we have to change as program providers. We must adapt to situations and personalities. We must realize that if they aren't enjoying themselves then how can we. Leisure education plays a big role in my life. This will most likely stay constant and be significant part of it.

As I continue to educate myself about leisure and as I move forward in being an effective leisure educator, I will be able to look back and see where I learned the most through my own experiences and it will probably be through the experiences now... until things change.

No comments: